Thursday, May 31, 2012

Flying Razorback member spotlight - Capt. Mark Cox

Released by 188th Fighter Wing Public Affairs

Capt. Mark Cox, a member of the 188th Operations Group, was selected as the 188th Fighter Wing's Flying Razorback spotlight for June 2012. (National Guard photo by Senior Master Sgt. Dennis Brambl / 188th Fighter Wing Public Affairs) Hi-res

5/31/2012 - FORT SMITH, Ark. -- Capt. Mark Cox, a member of the 188th Operations Group, was selected as the 188th Fighter Wing's Flying Razorback spotlight for June 2012.

Hometown: Born in St. Paul, Minn., but now I live in Fort Smith.
Job title: Militarily, I am an A-10C Thunderbolt II pilot. At my civilian job, I am a captain with Piedmont Airlines.
In the 188th: Since 2005.
Education: Bachelor's degree in commercial aviation from the University of North Dakota "Go Sioux!"
Favorite TV show: "Archer" and "How I met your Mother" are at the top, but I also enjoy "Family Guy," "The Simpsons" and "American Dad!".
Favorite actor/actress: Yvonne Strahovski and Sean Connery, who was the best James Bond.
Favorite color: Blue.
Favorite animal: Any dog. I have a mini dachshund and a West Highland terrier.
Favorite comedian: Adam Sandler, especially his Hanukah songs.
Favorite movie: "Lord of the Rings" or any James Bond movie.
Favorite restaurant: In Fort Smith it would be Fuji or Emmys German restaurant. My favorite of all time would be Le Repubbliche Marinare, which is a little mom and pop shop located in in Pisa, Italy, that has unforgettable food!
Favorite soft drink: Lemonade.
Favorite foods: Italian.
Favorite musical group/musician: Jimmy Buffet always helps me relax. Also, I enjoy Bob Marley.
Favorite word or phrase: "So to speak" or "tonight is going to be legen ... wait for it ... dary" from "How I met your Mother."
Favorite super hero: My Dad! He made me the man I am today; any complaints with me should be taken up with him. He inspired me to be a pilot.
Favorite U.S. presidents: Ronald Reagan and Theodore Roosevelt.
Favorite historical figure: General James Harold "Jimmy" Doolittle.
Favorite sport: Soccer. I play in a league in Fort Smith. I usually play outside back or midfield.
Favorite sports individual: David Beckham.
Favorite football team: Minnesota Vikings! Purple pride!
My worst job ever: Bus boy at a restaurant.
Hobbies: Playing soccer. I enjoy going for a drive in my new Audi, and of course flying.
My dream shopping spree: Any gun store.
Place I'd most like to visit: Eastern Europe.
Favorite cartoon character: Archer.
Favorite automobile: Audi or an Aston Martin DBS.
My worst habit: Chewing ice.
What scares me the most: Fratricide, and also a fear of failure. I hate snakes, too. The last snake to venture in my yard was shot then burned.
The best day of my life: Still to this day the best day of my life was when I got the call to fly for the 188th Fighter Wing. I was in downtown Minneapolis and walking with my wife Megan (we were still dating at the time). I literally jumped off a wall. I had spent my entire life working toward that goal. If my wife asks the same question, I might say our wedding. But honestly, it's not even close.
Things I look forward to: My wife's coffee. While we were at Davis-Monthan Air Force Base, Ariz., for A-10 training she worked at Starbucks for five months. We bought an awesome espresso machine and all the beans and syrups. Now she can make just about anything you would order at Starbucks. One of my favorite things to do on an off day is drink a latte or cappuccino and read the paper without ever having to leave my house.
Most inspirational figure: My dad, who was a United Airlines captain and a retired U.S. Army helicopter pilot who flew in Vietnam. He put me behind the controls of an airplane when I was 2. I started taking flying lessons when I was 14 and had my first solo on my 16th birthday. My dad was the inspiration behind all that.

Source

Note: That's a very nice spotlight of a current A-10C pilot!

No comments:

Post a Comment